TOPIC: ASCENSION OF CHRIST [b]
- He ascended from the mount of Olivet. Luke 24: 50 And he led them out as far as to Bethany, and he lifted up his hands, and blessed them. Mark 1:11 And there came a voice from heaven, saying, Thou art my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. Acts 1:12 Then returned they unto Jerusalem from the mount called Olivet, which is from Jerusalem a sabbath day’s journey.
- He ascended while blessing His disciples Luke 24:50 And he led them out as far as to Bethany, and he lifted up his hands, and blessed them.
- He had finished His work of atonement 1/ Hebrews 9:12 Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us. 2/ Hebrews 10:12 But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;
- He was triumphant Psalms 68: 28 Thy God hath commanded thy strength: strengthen, O God, that which thou hast wrought for us.29 Because of thy temple at Jerusalem shall kings bring presents unto thee.
30 Rebuke the company of spearmen, the multitude of the bulls, with the calves of the people, till every one submit himself with pieces of silver: scatter thou the people that delight in war.
31 Princes shall come out of Egypt; Ethiopia shall soon stretch out her hands unto God.
32 Sing unto God, ye kingdoms of the earth; O sing praises unto the Lord; Selah:
33 To him that rideth upon the heavens of heavens, which were of old; lo, he doth send out his voice, and that a mighty voice.
34 Ascribe ye strength unto God: his excellency is over Israel, and his strength is in the clouds.
35 O God, thou art terrible out of thy holy places: the God of Israel is he that giveth strength and power unto his people. Blessed be God.
- His ascension was with supreme power and dignity 1/ Luke 24:26 Ought not Christ to have suffered these things, and to enter into his glory? 2/ Ephesians 1:20 Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places,21 Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come: 3/ 1 Peter 3: 20 Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places,
21 Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come:
[ Prepared by Winston Staples ]
Topic: The word we are exploring today is ” redemption”.
Redemption means: 1/ to deliver or rescue 2/ to pay off a debt or bond. 3/ In Theology it means delivered from sin or salvation.
Let’s read the following verses: 1.Exodus 15:13 Thou in thy mercy hast led forth the people which thou hast redeemed: thou hast guided them in thy strength unto thy holy habitation. [ God’s people were delivered by God’s Power to God’s place of salvation.] 2. Luke 1:68 Blessed be the Lord God of Israel; for he hath visited and redeemed his people, 3. Galatians 3: 13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:14 That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.15 Brethren, I speak after the manner of men; Though it be but a man’s covenant, yet if it be confirmed, no man disannulleth, or addeth thereto. [ man can not redeem himself no matter how hard he tries, no matter what he sacrifices. God sent His only SON Jesus as a perfect sacrifice for the sinfulness of mankind to die on that old rugged cross.]
4. Ephesians 1:7 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace; 5.1 Peter 1:17 And if ye call on the Father, who without respect of persons judgeth according to every man’s work, pass the time of your sojourning here in fear:18 Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers;19 But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:
I love that old hymn ” Redeemed, redeemed by the blood of the Lamb”!
[ prepared by Winston Staples ]
Todays topic is repentance, something we all must do if we want to be saved from our sin and return to fellowship with God the Father, Jesus the SON and the Holy Spirit. The word repent means, deep sorrow or contrition for past sin or wrong doing. So, let’s open our Bibles and read the following verses, underlining the things that speak to you.
- 2 Chronicles 7:14 and My people who are called by My name humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
- Psalms 51:17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit;
A broken and a contrite heart, O God, You will not despise.
- Psalms 107:10 There were those who dwelt in darkness and in the shadow of death,
Prisoners in misery and chains,
11 Because they had rebelled against the words of God
And spurned the counsel of the Most High.
12 Therefore He humbled their heart with labor;
They stumbled and there was none to help.
13 Then they cried out to the Lord in their trouble;
He saved them out of their distresses.
14 He brought them out of darkness and the shadow of death
And broke their bands apart. —-17 Fools, because of their rebellious way,
And because of their iniquities, were afflicted.
18 Their soul abhorred all kinds of food,
And they drew near to the gates of death.
19 Then they cried out to the Lord in their trouble;
He saved them out of their distresses.
20 He sent His word and healed them,
And delivered them from their destructions.
- Joel 2:And rend your heart and not your garments.”
Now return to the Lord your God,
For He is gracious and compassionate,
Slow to anger, abounding in loving kindness
and relenting of evil.
- Acts 8:22 Therefore repent of this wickedness of yours,and pray the Lord that, if possible, the intention of your heart may be forgiven you.
- 2 Corinthians 7:10 For the sorrow that is according to the will of God produces a repentance without regret, leading to salvation, but the sorrow of the world produces death.
- 1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
The above verses were taken from the American Standard Version; I trust they will be a blessing to you.
[ prepared by Winston Staples ]
* Wisdom……Today so many people are seeking knowledge and wisdom, often in the wrong places. Some people obtain knowledge but fail to have the wisdom to use it correctly.
Let’s look at the following Bible verses about knowledge and wisdom:
- Proverbs 1:7 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction. [20-22]20 Wisdom crieth without; she uttereth her voice in the streets:
21 She crieth in the chief place of concourse, in the openings of the gates: in the city she uttereth her words, saying,
22 How long, ye simple ones, will ye love simplicity? and the scorners delight in their scorning, and fools hate knowledge?
- Proverbs 4: 6 Forsake her not, and she shall preserve thee: love her, and she shall keep thee.7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.8 Exalt her, and she shall promote thee: she shall bring thee to honour, when thou dost embrace her.9 She shall give to thine head an ornament of grace: a crown of glory shall she deliver to thee.
- Luke 2: 39 And when they had performed all things according to the law of the Lord, they returned into Galilee, to their own city Nazareth.40 And the child grew, and waxed strong in spirit, filled with wisdom: and the grace of God was upon him.